nanog mailing list archives

Re: Getting pretty close to default IPv4 route maximum for 6500/7600 routers.

From: Blake Hudson <blake () ispn net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 13:36:09 -0500

joel jaeggli wrote the following on 6/10/2014 1:10 PM:
On 6/10/14, 10:39 AM, Blake Hudson wrote:
Łukasz Bromirski wrote the following on 6/10/2014 12:15 PM:
Hi Blake,

On 10 Jun 2014, at 19:04, Blake Hudson <blake () ispn net> wrote:

In this case, does the 512k limit of the 6500/7600 refer to the RIB
or the FIB? And does it even matter since the BGP prefix table can
automatically be reduced to ~300k routes?
Te 512k limit refers to FIB in the B/C (base) versions of 6500/7600
Supervisors and DFCs (for line cards). BXL/CXL versions have FIB for
1M IPv4 prefixes.

You can find more information here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/117712-problemsolution-cat6500-00.html

And yes, you’re right - no matter how many neighbors you have, the FIB
will only contain best paths, so it will be closer to 500k entries in
total rather than N times number of neighbours.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if the BGP table contains ~500k
prefixes, which are then summarized into ~300k routes (RIB),
Unlikely, just because prefixes could be cidr aggregated doesn't mean
they are. the more specifics exist for a reason, in the case of
deaggrates with no covering anouncement, well not much you're doing with
those.

your rib should be the sum of all received routes that you did not filter.
On the couple Cisco platforms I have available with full tables, Cisco summarizes BGP by default. Since this thread is talking about Cisco gear, I think it's more topical than results from BIRD.

One example from a non-transit AS:
ASR#sh ip route sum
IP routing table name is default (0x0)
IP routing table maximum-paths is 32
Route Source Networks Subnets Replicates Overhead Memory (bytes)
connected       0           10          0 600         1800
static          1           2           0 180         540
application     0           0           0 0           0
bgp xxxxx       164817      330796      0 29736780    89210340
  External: 495613 Internal: 0 Local: 0
internal 5799                                            20123680
Total           170617      330808      0 29737560    109336360

and the FIB
contains only the "best path" entries from the RIB, wouldn't the FIB be
at or below 300k?
a live example of rib size from a router with two transit providers.

bird> show route count
979842 of 979842 routes for 490932 networks

a live example of rib size from a router with one ibgp peer with addpath
and three  upstream transit providers

bird> show route count
1471242 of 1471242 routes for 491977 networks

The RIB counts and memory used by the RIB seem to be nearly identical between a Cisco router with 3 full BGP feeds and another with 1 BGP feed. The differences seem to lie in the memory used by BGP for prefix tracking. If your router has multiple routing tables, or your installing multiple routes for the same prefix in the RIB, then I can understand why your RIB will be larger. These are nice features, but certainly not a requirement for everyone.

--Blake