nanog mailing list archives

Re: Getting pretty close to default IPv4 route maximum for 6500/7600 routers.

From: Blake Hudson <blake () ispn net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 12:04:14 -0500

I haven't seen anyone bring up this point yet, but I feel like I'm missing something...

I receive a full BGP table from several providers. They send me ~490k *prefixes* each. However, my router shows ~332k *subnets* in the routing table. As I understand it, the BGP table contains duplicate information (for example a supernet is announced as well as all subnets within that supernet) or excess information (prefix is announced as two /17's instead of a single /16) and can otherwise be summarized to save space in the RIB.

It appears to me that the weekly CIDR report shows similar numbers:

Recent Table History
        Date      Prefixes    CIDR Agg
        30-05-14    502889      283047
        31-05-14    502961      283069
        01-06-14    502836      283134
        02-06-14    502943      283080
        03-06-14    502793      283382
        04-06-14    503177      282897
        05-06-14    503436      283062
        06-06-14    503988      282999

In this case, does the 512k limit of the 6500/7600 refer to the RIB or the FIB? And does it even matter since the BGP prefix table can automatically be reduced to ~300k routes?

Thanks,
--Blake