nanog mailing list archives

Re: Upgrade Path Options from 6500 SUP720-3BXL for Edge Routing

From: Simon Lockhart <simon () slimey org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 23:56:36 +0100

On Tue Jul 29, 2014 at 02:21:32AM +0000, Corey Touchet wrote:
Right now my thinking are MX480 or ASR9k platforms.  Opinions on those are
equally welcome as alternatives, but I?d love to hear from those with
personal experiences today vs sales people trying to tell me it would route
the world :)

Or, protect your existing investment in 6500 and replace the SUP720 with the
SUP2T. You can then deploy the WS-X6904-40G-XL blades which give you 4 * 40G
or 16 * 10G on a 80G backplane (i.e. 2:1 oversubscription). I'm in the process
of going through this upgrade at the moment and I'm happy with what I'm seeing.

A lot depends on the total traffic throughput you're looking to switch/route.

You can then look to migrate onto the 6880 chassis which gives you a faster
backplane, whilst retaining compatibility with existing linecards.

Simon