nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni Fiber and Politics - ENDGAME

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:54:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014, Bruce H McIntosh wrote:

How often do they refresh and/or forklift their infrastructure? They're not still running on mid90s optical gear, I hope?

They are not running any optical gear, they rent dark fiber to enterprise and ISPs.

Lately they have installed one strand of fiber per every apartment in apartment buildings in Stockholm, to enable the possibility of renting FTTH fiber to ISPs all the way up to apartments. The major problem with this is that their handoff is in the basement of the building, so the building owner needs to pay for the installation from basement up to the apartments which is a major cost, and also it's currently not known exactly how fault finding should be done. I would be more comfortable if STOKAB took responsibility all the way into the handoff in the apartment.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se