nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni Fiber and Politics

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 12:09:05 -0400

Well yeah, the LECs would definitely come unglued.

But... first off, what do you mean by "free?" Someone has to pay the capital and operating budgets - so if not from user fees, then from taxes.

So.. it's a nice thought, but not likely to happen. Heck, have you ever seen a water utility that doesn't charge?

Now... having said that -- I could see something like this happen in California:

- California allows (maybe requires) that developers pay "impact fees" when building new houses -- i.e., the cost of a house, in a new development, may include $20,000+ to pay for new infrastructure - roads, waterworks, police and fire substations, schools, you name it - if you buy a new house, you pay for the full cost of the infrastructure behind it (built into the financing of course - first the construction financing, then the bridge financing, then ultimately the mortgage)

- I have seen some California communities at least toy with including conduit and fiber in master plans and requirements placed on developers - after all, it's needed to feed municipal buildings, street light control, and so forth - and better to have common-user conduit and fiber in the ground than have multiple people digging up the streets later - fyi: a street cut typically takes 1 year off pavement lifetime, unless very carefully repaved - practically nobody does a good job of permitting street cuts to avoid this - San Antonio being a really notable exception (I worked for a GIS firm that built their right-of-way management system - they were a real rarity in good right-of-way management practices)

- so I could see building the capital cost of a FTTH network into new housing (the same way water and phone wiring is standard) - but that's not free, and that still begs the question of who lights the fiber

- still, the LECs would come unglued (and have)!

Miles Fidelman

Aaron wrote:
So let me throw out a purely hypothetical scenario to the collective:

What do you think the consequences to a municipality would be if they laid fiber to every house in the city and gave away internet access for free? Not the WiFi builds we have today but FTTH at gigabit speeds for free?

Do you think the LECs would come unglued?

Aaron