nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni Fiber and Politics

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 15:31:13 -0700

On Jul 21, 2014, at 14:41 , Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster () gmail com> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 8:34 PM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
Whoever installs fiber first and gets any significant fraction of subscribers in any
but the densest of population centers is a competition killer, _IF_ you let them
parlay that physical infrastructure into an anti-competitive environment for higher
layer services.

I take it that on principal you would have petitioned against the
proposed Google Fiber roll-out in the San Jose area and would
have spoken out against it at the public hearing on June 17th
in favor of an alternative municipal funded project if you were not
otherwise engaged (the synopsis indicates no public comments
from the floor from that meeting)?  You may have missed an
opportunity to be the one to stop Google Fiber in San Jose in
preference to muni fiber, although there is never just one meeting
for such large scale projects.  I am sure you will have other
chances to offer your opinion, and encourage the council to
just say no.

Nope... I would strongly support it.

Why?

Because until we have regulation that does what I am proposing, we have ridiculous monopolies with all kinds of
negative consumer impact. While Google as a new monopoly wouldn't be the ideal competitive environment, it would, at
least, be better than what we have today.

While I believe, on principle that we need to move forward towards what I described above, I also recognize the reality
on the ground and the need not to cut off one's nose to spite one's face.

Owen