nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 22:08:12 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: nanog () brettglass com

This is Brett Glass; I have been alerted to some of the responses to my
message (which was cross-posted by a third party) and have temporarily
joined the list to chime in. The following is my response to his
message, edited slightly to include some new information.

Well, they were actually responses to *my* message, which made a
fundamental point which you carefully don't address here at all, amongst
what our British counterparts would probably term your whinging. :-)

If Netflix were a good citizen, it would (a) let ISPs cache content;
(b) pay them
equitably for direct connections (smaller and more remote ISPs have
higher costs
per customer and should get MORE per account than Comcast, rather than
receiving
nothing); and (c) work with ISPs to develop updated technology that
makes streaming
more efficient. Bandwidth is expensive, and unicast streaming without
caching is by
far the most inefficient conceivable way of delivering "fat" content
to the consumer.

Bandwidth is expensive.  Given.

You made the wrong gamble on how asymmetrical your customers connections
would *really* be.  But that doesn't make that traffic *not be* -- as your
brothers in the telco arm would phrase it -- "at your customers' instance",
rather than, as your arguments all assume, at Netflix's.

About 80% of so of the responses I've seen here agree that's a reasonable
view of the situation... so we'll for the moment assume that you didn't
address it because you *can't* address it.

Care to differ?

Cheers,
-- jra

[ As you might imagine, this is a bit of a hobby horse for me; Verizon's
behavior about municipally owned fiber, and it's attempts to convert post-
Sandy customers in NYS from regulated copper to unregulated FiOS service
leave a pretty bad taste in my mouth about VZN. ]
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com