nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 16:22:34 -0700

On 7/16/14, 3:57 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
On Jul 13, 2014, at 09:09 , nanog () brettglass com wrote:

If Netflix continues on its current course, ALL ISPs -- not just rural ones,
will eventually be forced to rebel. And it will not be pretty.
I don't think so. I think the reality is that access providers have been trying to find ways
to force content providers to subsidize their business and avoid charging their customers
accurately for a long time and that continuing to do so is damaging to everyone involved.

Indeed. We've heard this at each turn of the bandwidth crank from OMG JPG's! to OMG VoIP!
to OMG HD! to OMG Quantum Teleportation! (ok, maybe not the last. yet.)

Nobody's owed a business model, and we all know it's messy around the edges. Suck it up,
and maybe your customers will too.

Mike