nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

From: Rubens Kuhl <rubensk () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 14:06:54 -0300

If Netflix were a good citizen, it would (a) let ISPs cache content; (b)
pay them
equitably for direct connections (smaller and more remote ISPs have higher
costs
per customer and should get MORE per account than Comcast, rather than
receiving
nothing); and (c) work with ISPs to develop updated technology that makes
streaming
more efficient. Bandwidth is expensive, and unicast streaming without
caching is by
far the most inefficient conceivable way of delivering "fat" content to
the consumer.

I noted most of the discussion seems to point to Internet bandwidth as a
cost factor to ISPs, but I wonder what's the impact of Netflix on access
network costs ? They might be harder to measure or directly correlate to
streaming usage,  but for non-wired networks (which is usually the case in
rural networks), this impact sounds more harmful to me than uplink costs.

Rubens