nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 09:44:58 -0700

in an attempt to force them to host their servers for free

These are the OpenConnect caching boxes, I assume?  If that's the case, it's
incorrect to say that Netflix "refuses to allow [...] caching", simply that
they prefer to provide caching their way.  As it stands, I don't see the
problem with running Netflix cacheboxes instead of your own -- if you *were*
running the cache, you would presumably need to pay for hosting anyway (and
also machines), so I'm not sure how OpenConnect is worse.  If there are
reasons why OpenConnect boxes *are* inferior to some other solution (such as
if they take up 20 times the power and space of an equivalent caching
solution), then those are what need to be talked about.

One could make a somewhat valid argument that the “OpenConnect” caches are
limited to caching Netflix and thus not very “open” whereas a cache that I
was hosting for myself could cache a variety of content sources and not just
Netflix.

Would it really be plausible for a small ISP to host caching clusters for
every streaming content supplier out there?

Don’t get me wrong, I think that the access networks are the ones that are failing
their customers in this scenario over all, but I can see this one valid aspect
to the argument above.

Owen