nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 21:12:02 -0400

Randy Bush wrote:
And, of course, one might ask why Netflix isn't ... making use of a
caching network like Akamai, as many other large traffic sources do
on a routine basis.
they do.  netflix rolls their own cache servers, installable in any
network

At the ISPs expense, including connectivity to a peering point. Most content providers pay Akamai, Netflix wants ISPs to pay them. Hmmm....

Now I write a check every month to both Verizon and Netflix - and clearly it would be nice if some of that went to provisioning better service between the two. But I can as easily point to Netflix, as to Verizon, when it comes to which dollar stream should be going to bigger (or more efficient) pipes.

Miles Fidelman