nanog mailing list archives

Re: Open source hardware

From: Benno Overeinder <benno () NLnetLabs nl>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 12:08:11 +0100

On 3-1-2014 14:33, Saku Ytti wrote:
Right now, if you need perfomance, you're going to have to buy something like
bcom chip and then cumulusnetworks linux on top of it, it's as close to 'open
source' as you're going to get with good performance.
And this is more or less DC stuff, SP market needs more intelligent chips than
those ASICs, and I don't think there anything 'open source' in the market
place for NPU stuff.

No hands-on experience with Cumulus Networks equipment, but from what I have heard I like their approach to open hardware/software for routing equipment. It is flexible what you want to configure and run (all open source software). For the hardware switching support they license their Switch HAL module.

Cheers,

-- Benno