nanog mailing list archives

Re: Route Server Filters at IXPs and 4-byte ASNs

From: Job Snijders <job.snijders () hibernianetworks com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 16:18:59 +0100

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 10:04:30AM -0500, Bryan Socha wrote:
I have over 100,000 servers located in routing diverse datacenters
with 4byte ASN numbers and have not had 1 problem or complaint related
to the ASN for not able to communicate with the datacenter.  The first
1 did make me really nervous for all of the reasons already mentioned
but turned out to be a non-issue.

This thread is not about reachability of prefixes announced by 4-byte
ASNs. This thread is about prefix filtering on Route Servers at Internet
Exchanges.

While it would be nice to see community string support increase to 4byte, I
think this is more of an educational challenge for the IXPs on how to setup
your community strings to work and not really a technical problem.

Can you elaborate on how you would setup 'community strings'?

Kind regards,

Job