nanog mailing list archives

Re: Filter NTP traffic by packet size?

From: sjt5atra <sjt5atra () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 18:38:52 -0500

On Feb 23, 2014, at 4:39 PM, James Braunegg <james.braunegg () micron21 com> wrote:

Dear All

I released a bit of a blog article last week about filtering NTP request traffic via packet size which might be of
interest !

So far I known of an unknown tool makes a default request packet of 50 bytes in size
ntpdos.py makes a default request packet of 60 bytes in size
ntp_monlist.py makes a default request packet of 234 bytes in size
monlist from ntpdc makes a default request packet of 234 bytes in size

In contrast a normal NTP request for a time sync is about 90 bytes in size

More information and some graphs can be found here  http://www.micron21.com/ddos-ntp.php

Kindest Regards

James Braunegg

Do these .py's do anything else different to the query packets than "normal" ntp clients? (254TTL instead of the more
common 63TTL for "normal" clients.)