nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Everyone should be deploying BCP 38! Wait, they are ...."

From: "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 00:56:28 +0000

On Feb 19, 2014, at 4:52 AM, Tony Tauber <ttauber () 1-4-5 net> wrote:

maybe we should conclude that most of the spoofing is coming from somewhere else; perhaps including colo and cloud
providers.

My theory - not yet backed by data - is that probably most spoofed traffic these days does in fact emanate from IDC
networks, and that a non-trivial proportion of same emanates from a relatively small number of such networks.

In many cases, it's possible to put 'naked' hosts on home broadband connections, however - and how common that is, and
what proportion of those broadband access networks don't run any form of anti-spoofing, is an open question.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

          Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

                       -- John Milton