nanog mailing list archives

Re: 7206 VXR NPE-G1 throughput

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 10:41:10 +0200

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:28:47 AM Vlade Ristevski
wrote:

My Cisco SE brought up an interesting alternative. This
summer we're replacing our 6513 Sup720 with a pair of
6807 with redundant Sup 2Ts. It is where all our
internal Fiber terminates and where internal routing
happens.  He said we can add extra memory and terminate
our BGP sessions here and use that for our Internet
connections. After thinking it over, I'd still rather
have dedicated routers for our Internet access but I'm
curious what you guys think about this suggestion.

If you have the budget, run dedicated peering/upstream
routers.

Hierarchical separation of functions at the hardware level
provides lots of flexibility in other areas as your network
grows. If cash is not a constraint, go for it, I'd say.

Mark.