nanog mailing list archives

Re: SIP on FTTH systems

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 17:20:08 +0200

On Friday, February 07, 2014 03:30:08 PM Frank Bulk wrote:

Rather than assign residential and business customers
their own /30, to conserve space we give those customers
a /32 out of a /24.  But when one of these static IP
customers wants to send email to another, or the
employee wants to VPN into work, they can't.

This is akin to Private VLAN's where ports in a shared VLAN
are assigned numbers from the same subnet, but they can only
communicate via the BNG rather than directly at the bridge
level.

I prefer EVC Split Horizon to Private VLAN's, though.

Mark.