nanog mailing list archives

Re: TWC (AS11351) blocking all NTP?

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 21:13:06 -0500

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 7:40 PM, Glen Turner <gdt () gdt id au> wrote:

On 4 Feb 2014, at 9:28 am, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com> wrote:

wait, so the whole of the thread is about stopping participants in the
attack, and you're suggesting that removing/changing end-system
switch/routing gear and doing something more complex than:
 deny udp any 123 any
 deny udp any 123 any 123
 permit ip any any

Which just pushes NTP to some other port, making control harder. We've already pushed all 'interesting' traffic to
port 80 on TCP, which has made traffic control very expensive. Let's not repeat that history.

I think in the case of 'oh crap, customer is getting 100gbps of
ntp...' the above (a third party notes that the 2nd line is redundant)
is a fine answer, till the flood abates.

I wouldn't recommend wholesale blocking of anything across an ISP
edge, but for the specific case paul was getting at: "ntp reflection
attack target is your customer" ... it's going to solve the problem.