nanog mailing list archives

Re: TWC (AS11351) blocking all NTP?

From: Laszlo Hanyecz <laszlo () heliacal net>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 19:01:51 +0000

I was joking, I meant that the operator provides an API for attackers, so they can accomplish their goal of taking the
customer offline, without having to spoof or flood or whatever else.  Automatically installing ACLs in response to
observed flows accomplishes almost the same thing.  As a concrete example, say a customer is running a game server that
utilizes UDP port 12345.  An attacker sends a large flow to customer:12345 and your switches and routers all start
filtering anything with destination customer:12345, for say 2 hours.  Then the attacker can just repeat in 2 hours and
send only a few seconds worth of flooding each time.