nanog mailing list archives

Re: TWC (AS11351) blocking all NTP?

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 13:16:41 -0500

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Peter Phaal <peter.phaal () gmail com> wrote:
Why burn the village when only one house is the problem? I thought
there might be some interest in hearing about work being done to use
SDN to automatically configure filtering in existing switches and
routers to mitigate flood attacks.

that's great... who's got sdn capable gear in deployments today? with
code and OSS stuff to deal with random SDN pokery? and who has spare
tcam/etc to deal with said pokery of 'block the attack-du-jour' ?

There's certainly the case that you could drop acls/something on
equipment to selectively block the traffic that matters... I suspect
in some cases the choice was: "50% of the edge box customers on this
location are a problem, block it across the board here instead of X00
times" (see concern about tcam/etc problems)

Real-time analytics based on measurements from switches/routers
(sFlow/PSAMP/IPFIX) can identify large UDP flows and integrated hybrid
OpenFlow, I2RS, REST, NETCONF APIs, etc. can be used to program the
switches/routers to selectively filter traffic based on UDP port and
IP source / destination. By deploying a DDoS mitigation SDN
application,  providers can use their existing infrastructure to
protect their own and their customers networks from flood attacks, and
generate additional revenue by delivering flood protection as a value
added service.

yup, that sounds wonderous... and I'm sure that in the future utopian
world (like 7-10 years from now, based on age-out of gear and OSS IT
change requirements) we'll see more of this. I don't think you'll see
much (in terms of edge ports on the network today) of this happening
'right now' though.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-krishnan-i2rs-large-flow-use-case/
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/flow-aware-real-time-sdn-analytics-odl-summit-v2.pdf

Specifically looking at sFlow, large flood attacks can be detected
within a second. The following article describes a simple example
using integrated hybrid OpenFlow in a 10/40G ToR switch:

hopefully there's some clamp on how much change per device/port you
plan too? :) I'd hate to see the RP/RE/etc get so busy programming
tcam that bgp/isis/ospf/etc flaps :(

http://blog.sflow.com/2014/01/physical-switch-hybrid-openflow-example.html

The example can be modified to target NTP mon_getlist requests and

{'ipdestination,udpsourceport',value:'ntppvtbytes',filter:'ntppvtreq=20,42'}

or to target DNS ANY requests:

{keys:'ipdestination,udpsourceport',value:'frames',filter:'dnsqr=true&dnsqtype=255'}

this also assume almost 1:1 sampling... which might not be feasible
either...otherwise you'll be seeing fairly lossy results, right?

The OpenFlow block control can be modified to selectively filter UDP
traffic based on the identified UDP source port and destination IP
address.

hopefully your OSS and netflow/sflow collection isn't also being used
for traffic engineering/capacity planning purposes? else... you might
get odd results from that infrastructure with such changes to the
sflow/netflow sender platform.

Vendors are adding new SDN capabilities to their platforms (often as
software upgraded), so it's worth taking a look and seeing what is
possible.

the device side is PROBABLY the simple side of the equation for most people...