nanog mailing list archives

Re: Requirements for IPv6 Firewalls

From: Doug Barton <dougb () dougbarton us>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 15:28:08 -0700

On 04/22/2014 01:49 PM, George Herbert wrote:
As long as the various stateful firewalls and IDS systems offer hostile
action detection and blocking capabilities that raw webservers lack,
there are certainly counterarguments to the "port filter only" approach
being advocated here.

Right, but now you're talking about something other than just a firewall.

Focusing only on DDOS prevention from one narrow range of attack vectors
targeting the firewalls themselves is narrowminded.  The security threat
envelope is pretty wide.  Vulnerabilities of similar nature exist on the
webservers themselves, and on load balancer devices you will likely need
anyways.

Again, sure, but removing a needless firewall from the equation is one less thing to worry about.

Any number of enterprises have chosen that if a DDOS or other advanced
attack is going to be successful, to let that be successful in bringing
down a firewall on the external shell of the security envelope rather
than having penetrated to the servers level.

And if they are making that choice proactively who am I to argue? I disagree, but their network, their rules.

What usually happens though is that enterprises believe that the firewall will protect them, without understanding that it can actually create a SPOF instead.

Smart design can also handle transparently failing over should such a
vendor-specific attack succeed.  The idea that anyone doing real, big
complex networks would or has to accept any SPOF is ludicrous.  The
question is, how important is avoiding SPOFs, and how committed you are.
  If the answer is "absolutely must, and we have enough budget to do so"
then it's entirely doable.

Of course.

Doug