nanog mailing list archives

Re: Requirements for IPv6 Firewalls

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 13:20:40 -0400

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 12:10:31 -0400, Lee Howard said:

"Methods used to meet the intent of this
requirement may vary depending on the specific
networking technology being used. For example,
the controls used to meet this requirement may be
different for IPv4 networks than for IPv6 networks."
https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/documents/PCI_DSS_v3.pdf

Based on my experience with compliance auditors, they won't understand
many of the words in this sentence, and will assume NAT and RFC1918.

So there's the *real* problem in a nutshell. People think we're supposed to
hobble our networks with crap design just because the auditors can't get their
industry's shit together.