nanog mailing list archives

Re: [[Infowarrior] - NSA Said to Have Used Heartbleed Bug for Years]

From: Doug Barton <dougb () dougbarton us>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 19:47:46 -0700

On 04/14/2014 05:50 PM, John Levine wrote:
In article <534C68F4.305 () cox net> you write:
On 4/14/2014 9:38 AM, Matthew Black wrote:
Shouldn't a decent OS scrub RAM and disk sectors before allocating
them to processes, unless that process enters processor privileged
mode and sets a call flag? I recall digging through disk sectors on
RSTS/E to look for passwords and other interesting stuff over 30
years ago.

I have been out of the loop for quite a while but my strongly held
belief is that such scrubbing would be an enormous (and intolerable)
overhead ...

It must be quite a while.  Unix systems have routinely cleared the RAM
and disk allocated to programs since the earliest days.

When you say "clear the disk allocated to programs" what do you mean exactly?