nanog mailing list archives

Re: BCP38 - Internet Death Penalty

From: Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 21:42:27 -0700

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Dobbins, Roland <rdobbins () arbor net> wrote:

On Mar 28, 2013, at 6:01 AM, Mark Andrews wrote:

Secondly you reduce your legal liability.

IANAL, but this has yet to be proven, AFAIK.

One approach that hasn't been tried, to my knowledge, is educating the insurance companies about how they can
potentially reduce *their* liability for payouts by requiring that real, actionable security BCPs such as BCP38/84,
running closed resolvers, implementing iACLs, et. al. are implemented by those they insure.

Does anyone have insight into examples of how insurance policies have been paid out as a result of losses stemming
from availability-related security events?

Another approach is educating the 'risk management' and 'business continuity' communities about the risks and how to
mitigate them, and how doing so enhances business continuity.

Funny you should mention it.

Actually, I do know someone who is in the "digital insurance" (for
lack of a better term) business, and although I just met them a few
weeks ago, somehow I get the feeling  that it is a growth industry.
I'm semi --> :-)

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson