nanog mailing list archives

Re: BCP38 - Internet Death Penalty

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:13:35 -0400

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 8:36 AM, Adam Vitkovsky <adam.vitkovsky () swan sk> wrote:
If the best route you pick for the customer's advertisement goes to your
upstream instead of your customer, you won't advertise it to your peer.
And if your customer sets a BGP community defined to mean "don't advertise
to peers" then you won't advertise it to the peer.
Yet they may well transmit packets to you for which delivery to that peer
is directed by your routing table.

Yes asymmetric routing would kill the update-based urpf unless there would
be an informational urpf NRLI we could use for these purposes

Hi Adam,

If we go down that path, let's not overload BGP. A distinct source
address advisory protocol could have highly desirable auto-aggregation
and update rate characteristics versus BGP.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004