nanog mailing list archives

Re: BCP38 - Internet Death Penalty

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 12:49:06 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Ferguson" <fergdawgster () gmail com>

As I mentioned on another list earlier today, let's face it -- this is
going to require a large-scale, very public, and probably multi-year
education & awareness effort (as if 13+ years isn't enough already!).

How long did it take to get some movement on open SMTP relays? You get
the idea.

Some people are going to have to step and add a few thousand more
frequent flier miles and get out to various geographic constituencies,
at various events, and start talking about this. And we need a lot
more people on board. Nation & international campaigns, etc.

And there may even be some stick approaches to accompany the carrot,
but some awareness is going to have to happen.

Sing it from the mountain tops.

Alain has registered bcp38.info, et al; I'll be talking to him off-list
about slapping up a CMS somewhere to pour some content into, and we'll
boil it down for everyone, in the immortal words of C.J. Cregg:

"...like they are five-year olds... and [we'll try to do it] like we are not."

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com