nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is multihoming hard? [was: DNS amplification]

From: John Curran <jcurran () istaff org>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 12:54:18 -0400

On Mar 24, 2013, at 12:06 PM, William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:
For most folks under 30 and many who are older, Internet isn't a side
show, it's a way of life. An outage is like a power failure or the car
going kaput: a major disruption to life's flow.

Yes, this is increasingly the case (and may not be as generational
as you think)

This need won't be ubiquitous for two to three decades, but every year
between now and then the percentage of your customer base which
demands unabridged connectivity will grow.

I believe that the percentage which _expects_ unabridged connectivity
today is quite high, but that does not necessarily mean actual _demand_
(i.e. folks who go out and make the necessary arrangements despite the
added cost and hassle...)

The power analogy might be apt here; I know many folks who have a home
UPS, a few that have a manual generator, and just one or two who did
the entire home automatic UPS/generator combo that's really necessary
for 100% reliable power.  This reflects a truism: while many people may
expect 100% reliable today, the demand (in most areas) simply doesn't
match.

What do you have in the pipeline to address that demand as it arrives?

See above: increasing expectations does not necessarily equate with demand.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimer: My views alone.  Sent via less than 100% reliable networks.