nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is multihoming hard? [was: DNS amplification]

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 08:41:33 -0700

On 3/23/13 9:13 PM, Matt Palmer wrote:
On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 07:47:12PM -0700, Kyle Creyts wrote:
You do realize that there are quite a few people (home broadband
subscribers?) who just "go do something else" when their internet goes
down, right?
[...]

Will they really demand ubiquitous, unabridged connectivity?

When?
Probably around the time their phone, TV, books, shopping, and *life* are
all delivered over that connectivity.  Especially if they don't have any
meaningful local storage or processing, as everything has been delegated to
"the cloud".
When the cable is down there's the verizon usb stick (which this point can be into the router and serve the whole house), when verizon is down there's t-mobile handset. when t-mobile is down there's a workphone with at&t.

When the cable/verizon/t-mobile/at&t are all down for any signifcant length of time, I expect to be digging my neighbors our of the sorts of natural disasters that befall California and listening to the radio and maybe 2-meter.
In practice, however, I suspect that we as providers will just get a whole
lot better at providing connectivity, rather than have everyone work out how
to do fully-diverse BGP from their homes.
I'm going to be somewhat contrarian, connectivity/availability with cloud services is important, where you access them from not so much. I doubt very much that reliance on the cloud drives multihoming for end-sites/consumers, it drives a demand for connectivity diversity so that one failure mode doesn't leave you stranded.

- Matt