nanog mailing list archives

Re: PRISM: NSA/FBI Internet data mining project

From: Rob McEwen <rob () invaluement com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 01:00:24 -0400

On 6/9/2013 2:26 PM, Rob McEwen wrote:
There are notable exceptions... for example, an employer is really the
owner of the mailbox, not their employee. Therefore, there is an
argument that government employees don't have "privacy rights" from the
government for their official work e-mail accounts. There are probably
several other exceptions like that. But such exceptions are a tiny
percentage of the whole.

I should mention... there also "exceptions to the exceptions". While it
is totally legal and ethical for a boss to snoop on his employee's
e-mails (in a business), I would think it would be very unethical and
illegal, for example, for the executive branch to snoop on a
congressional aide's e-mail, to gain "intel" on political opponents....
even if that congressional aide were a government employee and the
e-mail was a ".gov" address. But I'm not sure where those lines are
drawn with regards to the US Federal Government.

--
Rob McEwen
http://dnsbl.invaluement.com/