nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 20:36:58 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leo Bicknell" <bicknell () ufp org>

I don't know of any residential telco services (pots, ISDN BRI, or
DSL) that has an active handoff they can test to without a truck
roll.

FiOS and anyone else who's doing triple play from an ONT.  :-)

I don't know of any cable services with an active handoff similar
to an ONT, although they can interrogate most cable boxes and modems
for signal quality measurements remotely to get some idea of what
is going on. On the flip side, when CableCo's provide POTS they
must include a modem with a battery, and thus incur the cost of
shipping new batteries out and old batteries back every ~5 years;
which they sometimes do by truck roll...

Yeah; I have 10,000ish passings in 2.8 sq mi; I *want* to visit each node
once every 5 years.  :-)

So it seems to me both of those services find things work just fine
without an ONT-like test point. ONTs seem unique to FTTH deployments,
of which most today are GPON...

Yes, but I hate GPON with a passion.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com