nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 20:27:27 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leo Bicknell" <bicknell () ufp org>

In a message written on Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 07:11:56PM -0800, Owen
DeLong wrote:
I believe they should be allowed to optionally provide L2 enabled
services of various
forms.

Could you expand on why you think this is necessary? I know you've
given this some thought, and I'd like to understand.

I'll give you my answer, which may not be the same as Owen's.

The way I see it, for $100 in equipment (2x$50 optics) anyone can
light 1Gbps over the fiber. The only way the muni has significantly
cheaper port costs than a provider with a switch and a port per
customer is to do something like GPON which allows one port to
service a number of customers, but obviously imposes a huge set of
limitions (bandwiths, protocols you can run over it, etc).

You're assuming there, I think, that residential customers will have
mini-GBIC ports on their routers, which has not been my experience.  :-)

Understand that I'm not concerned with minimizing the build cost to the
muni; I'm interested in *maximizing the utility of the build*, both to the
end-user customers, *and* to local businesses who might/will serve them.

If all that potential small ISP has to bring me is a 10GE, *backhauled
over one of my own pairs from whatever space they rent*, and *I'm*
responsible for all the muxing, the part of the Public Good which
tries to bring businesses to the city is well served by that.

I also think the "ONT" adds unnecesary cost. They are used today
primarily for a handoff test point, and to protect shared networks
(like GPON) from a bad actor. With a dedicated fiber pair per
customer I think they are unnecessary. I can see a future where
the home gateway at the local big box has an SFP port (or even fixed
1000baseLX optics) and plugs directly into the fiber pair.

This depends on exactly how the ONT is built, and I am not as familiar
with the field as I will be by the time I have to care.  But the ability
to deliver multiple VLANs over a single pair, and possibly terminate
all 3 pairs in one ONT (or in several, for redundancy), and the handoff
is Ethernet -- and possibly DOCSIS3.0 RF, depending on what the boxes
already come with (I'm not interested in custom hardware at my scale) -- is quite fetching to me for all those reasons.

No ONT cost, no ONT limitations, no need to power it (UPS battery
replacement, etc). It's a value subtract, not a value add.

Based also on the point Owen makes about reducing truck rolls by having
netadmin controlled hardware at the customer end, I'm not at all sure
I agree; I think it depends a lot on what you're trading it off *against*.

I am, I admit, not all that fond of distributed power, but you make the
trades you must.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com