nanog mailing list archives

Re: OOB core router connectivity wish list

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 08:57:03 -0500

On Jan 9, 2013, at 12:34 PM, Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi> wrote:

Having RS232 or USB console on forwarding-plane is not OOB. And even OOB
version of these is of limited value, you can't send images over them, you
can't multiplex over them and RS232 OOB 'server' costs more than switch. So
you get less and you pay more.
HW + SW wise it's extremely simple contraption, all the code and HW needed
is proven.

I am very much against USB consoles.  there can be a whole plethora of issues involved from OS-level to the
device-level.  When I'm on the console, things have already gone bad.  I don't need to find out if the vendor has the
right 'entitlement' established for me to download and load the driver or anything else..

It *needs* to work, I can't wait for the device on the other end to negotiate with the host system, etc..

I understand why people want it, but USB as it exists today isn't the way.  (I can screw down a rs232 connector and it
can be secure, I can't attach USB with the same certainty).

- Jared