nanog mailing list archives

Re: Should host/domain names travel over the internet with a trailing dot?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:11:48 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Reichert" <reichert () numachi com>

Right. And I'm asserting that that's wrong: the client side libraries
Really Ought To normalize that name before trying to compare it against
the retrieved certificate to see if it matches, which would relieve you
of having to have the altName with the trailing dot in such a cert.

I know for internal testing, I've had to introduce unqualified
hostnames in the CSR as well (e.g. 'testhost', instead of
'testhost.example.com'), to handle the case of the client not using
domain names at all (when framing queries). This illustrates that
there's not even an effort to synthesize a FQDN.

And there probably shouldn't be, and yes, you will probably have to have
short names in there as altnames; there isn't -- and again, cannot be --
a rule for that; it's implementation dependent.

Who should implement the normalization logic? Not the SSL library,
certainly. That sounds like the bailiwick of the resolver library...

No, in fact, I think this is layer... 3 or 4, not 2; this *should*
be in the SSL library -- *you're not resolving this name*.

The controlling standard *appears* to be RFC 2246, TLS v1.0. I'm
doing
some work this morning, but that's up in a tab for coffee breaks;
I'll
try to figure out what I think Dierks and Allen thought about this
topic,
if anything, during the day.

I look forward to the fruits of your research. :)

Pomegranates.  Martha Stewart taught me over the weekend how to get
the seeds out without ruining them.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com