nanog mailing list archives

Re: Should host/domain names travel over the internet with a trailing dot?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 18:36:24 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Andrews" <marka () isc org>

No. See RFC 952

I think 952 is functionally obsolete, requireing a <24 char name
length;
I would have expected citations, perhaps, to 1535.

Care to expand?

Ok. RFC 952 as modified by RFC 1123. This covers all legal hostnames
in use today including those that do not fit in the DNS. The DNS
supports hostnames up to 253 bytes (255 bytes in wire encoding).
RFC 1123 allow hostnames to go to 255 bytes. I'm deliberately
ignoring IDN's as they still need to map back into what is permitted
by RFC 952 as modified by RFC 1123.

And except on length and first-digit-allowed, 1123 punts naming to 952
(which doesn't really say) and in 6.1, to 1034 and 1035.  So I know what
my light night reading will be (unless Albitz, Liu, Mockapetris, or any
of the BIND team are around on the list :-)

RFC 1535 is NOT a STANDARD. Not all RFC are created equal.

Typo.  1035 (as updated by whatever is on-point, if anything).

And Mark: could you please trim your quoting a bit?

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com