nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 16:24:49 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen () sprunk org>

By having the city run L2 over our L1, we can accomplish that;
unlike L3, I don't believe it actually needs to be a separate
company; I expect most ISP business to be at L2; L1 is mostly an
accomodation to potential larger ISPs who want to do it all
themselves.

Or FiOS. :-)

We have a philosophical disagreement here. I fully support public
ownership of public ownership of "natural" monopolies, and the fiber
plant itself (L1) certainly qualifies.

However, running L2 (or L3) over that fiber is _not_ a natural monopoly,
so I do _not_ support public ownership. At most, I could stomach a
"provider of last resort" to guarantee resident access to useful
services, in the IMHO unlikely event that only one (or zero) private
players showed up, or a compelling need to provide some residents (eg.
the elderly or indigent, schools, other public agencies, etc.) with
below-cost services.

I dunno; I tend to buy the arguments that there is a difference; as long
as the L2 access is itself sold to comers at cost, including the internal
accounting between the fiber and L2 sides of the house.

I don't even plan to offer quantity discounts.  :-)

(Note that inside wiring is a completely separate issue, and
carriers _will_ have to train techs on how to do that since few are
familiar with fiber, but that is an optional service they can
charge extra for. The L1 provider's responsibility ends at the NIU
on an outside wall, same as an ILEC's, so it's not their problem in
the first place.)

The L2 might end there, too, if I decide on outside ONTs, rather
than an optical jackblock inside.

I think the ILECs got this part right: provide a passive NIU on the
outside wall, which forms a natural demarc that the fiber owner can test
to. If an L2 operator has active equipment, put it inside--and it would
be part of the customer-purchased (or -leased) equipment when they turn
up service.

Yes, but that means the ISP has to drill holes in walls *and push fiber
jumpers through them*; I'm not at all happy with that idea.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com