nanog mailing list archives

Re: Will wholesale-only muni actually bring the boys to your yard?

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 15:14:56 -0800

On Feb 4, 2013, at 13:46 , Scott Helms <khelms () zcorum com> wrote:

Brandon,

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Brandon Ross <bross () pobox com> wrote:

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013, Scott Helms wrote:

One thing to keep in mind is that I don't believe its possible to get a
contract with the bulk of the content owners in a wholesale scenario.

You do really need to read the thread before you post.

There are tons and tons and tons of organizations that will sell the
operator of a network content to sell to that operator's subscribers
directly.  Most well known is the cable coop, who only exists to do just
that.  The problem is that what's been proposed is that the network
operator be able to then turn around and offer those services as a whole
sale level to another operator, on the same physical but not not layer 2,
plant.  That's what I don't think you can get contracts inked for.

Actually, as I understood what was proposed, you would bring Cable Coop
and/or other such vendors into the colo space adjacent to the MMR and
let them sell directly to the other service providers and/or customers.

Owen