nanog mailing list archives

Re: Will wholesale-only muni actually bring the boys to your yard?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 17:09:19 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Helms" <khelms () zcorum com>

There are tons and tons and tons of organizations that will sell the
operator of a network content to sell to that operator's subscribers
directly. Most well known is the cable coop, who only exists to do just
that. The problem is that what's been proposed is that the network
operator be able to then turn around and offer those services as a whole
sale level to another operator, on the same physical but not not layer
2, plant. That's what I don't think you can get contracts inked for.

I proposed it, and I immediately scratched the idea, when I found out
that my notional ISP clients could themselves get it from such vendors to
offer at retail.

So we can stop trying to make that *particular* type of glue now. :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com