nanog mailing list archives

Re: questions regarding prefix hijacking

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 10:20:21 +1000

In message <CANQy6Fb2cv+bdtaz7LVx0G_D0FbxJYqSr=ki5Hfm_9QOum1cnw () mail gmail com>
, Paul Ferguson writes:
On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 1:58 AM, Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi> wrote:

On (2013-08-07 11:20 +0300), Martin T wrote:

on Internet? Has there been such situations in history? Isn't there a
method against such hijacking? Or have I misunderstood something and
this isn't possible?

Certainly practical scenario, but in many cases not needed at all. In most
cases upstream does not do any automatic prefix filter generation, it's
maybe somewhat popular in mid-sized european shops but generally not too
common.

There is active on-going work to secure BGP and you may want to read up on
'RPKI' which is further along that track.

I hope it has better adoption than BCP38/BCP84. :-)

SIDR should help with BCP38/BCP84 as it allows correct filters to
be securely built.

Mark

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawgster(at)gmail.com

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org