nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon DSL moving to CGN

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 17:52:12 -0700

On Apr 8, 2013, at 11:54 , Rajiv Asati (rajiva) <rajiva () cisco com> wrote:

Like you, I would like to be optimistic about many v4-only apps and
v4-only devices becoming dual-stack sooner than later.

But knowing that a significant (50%+) of android devices may not support
IPv6 (just like my brand new Samsung Galaxy 7'' tablet (just bought over
the weekend) being v4-only) and may not be upgraded by their users to the
right software, and that Skype etc. apps are out there, my optimism fades
away.

The upgrade problem isn't that hard to solve. As soon as users want to use
something that doesn't work without the upgrade, the upgrades get installed.

Apple does a great job of this...

Every time they release an iOS upgrade I really don't want, they manage to
also release an update to software that I do care about. That software update
inherently requires me to accept the iOS upgrade.

Owen