nanog mailing list archives

Re: Big Temporary Networks

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 21:55:41 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Herrin" <bill () herrin us>

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com> wrote:
You're saying that *receiving* multicast streams over WLAN works
poorly?

I don't have any experience with it, but here's what Google told me:

http://www.wireless-nets.com/resources/tutorials/802.11_multicasting.html

"When any single wireless client associated with an access point has
802.11 power-save mode enabled, the access point buffers all multicast
frames and sends them only after the next DTIM (Delivery Traffic
Indication Message) beacon, which may be every one, two, or three
beacons (referred to as the “DTIM interval”). [...] default 100
millisecond beacon interval"

Thanks for doing my googling for me, Bill.  :-)

I'll do some more; I would sort've expect that might be something the
firmware in enterprise-class APs would handle better (where by better,
I mean "not permitting one client to manhandle the entire network" :-).

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com