nanog mailing list archives

Re: Big Temporary Networks

From: Måns Nilsson <mansaxel () besserwisser org>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 09:23:40 +0200

Subject: Re: Big Temporary Networks Date: Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 09:40:02AM -0400 Quoting Jay Ashworth (jra () baylink
com):
----- Original Message -----
From: "Måns Nilsson" <mansaxel () besserwisser org>

12:20:33AM -0700 Quoting Octavio Alvarez (alvarezp () alvarezp ods org):

I'd have expected someone to have QoS mentioned already, mainly to put
FTP and P2P traffic on the least important queues and don't hog up the
net.

As long as there is no multicast entering the wlan this is best solved
by getting more bandwidth.

Well, we'll be on the *sending* end of the Hugo's, but... ;-)

It would still be nice to multicast them inside our network (and out to
whomever wants to watch), but what the heck's the consumer-level client side
of multicast video streaming look like these days?

IIRC a number of IETF meetings were badly maimed in the wireless
side until people remembered that the WLAN was no place for multicast
video. VLC does mcast really nice. We're testing it for replacing antenna
distribution systems and DVB-T receivers at work.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668