nanog mailing list archives

Re: The End-To-End Internet (was Re: Blocking MX query)

From: valdis.kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 10:20:12 -0400

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 16:01:10 +1000, Mark Andrews said:

There is NOTHING stopping Sony adding code to the PS3 to perform
dynamic updates to add the records.  We have a well established
protocol to do this securely.  100's of millions of records get
updated daily using this protocol in the corporate environment.
This is NOTHING Joe Sixpack can't do with a smidgen of help on
behalf of product vendors.  Home router vendors already have
code to do this.

      domain name for the PS
      account name
      password

account name and password form the TSIG information to secure the
dynamic update.

And my point was merely that you can't actually use SRV for this use case
until the above is actually deployed, rather than in the "nothing stopping SONY"
hand-waving state.