nanog mailing list archives

Re: Typical additional latency for CGN?

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 21:22:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012, Owen DeLong wrote:

Most mobile providers have been doing what is commonly called cgn for 5 to
10 years. CGN is not a new concept or implementation for mobile.

True, but, as we have discussed before, mobile users, especially in the US,
have dramatically lowered expectations of internet access from their mobile
devices vs. what they expect from a household ISP.

Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed AT&T mobile is blocking ssh (outgoing 22/tcp) connections? AFAIK, AT&T mobile does CGN. It's puzzling that they'd block outgoing ssh when there have been multiple ssh clients in the Apple app store for years. I used to be able to ssh from my AT&T phone. I found recently, the packets don't get to the server unless I VPN from the phone first (or am on wifi, not relying on AT&T for IP).

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |