nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS anycasting - multiple DNS servers on same subnet Vs registrar/registry policies

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer () nic fr>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 21:32:29 +0200

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 12:21:10AM +0530,
 Anurag Bhatia <me () anuragbhatia com> wrote
 a message of 28 lines which said:

I know few registry/registrars which do not accept both (or all)
name servers of domain name on same subnet.

Since my employer is one of these registries, let me mention that I
fully agree with David Conrad here.

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 12:54:01AM +0530,
 Anurag Bhatia <me () anuragbhatia com> wrote
 a message of 42 lines which said:

I am building redundancy within that setup. I mean it will be
software based BGP so if hardware if fried up, it will break BGP
session and pull off routes anyway and for cases like DNS server
(software) failure, I will monitor it via simple bash script which
can turn bgp daemon down.

You will address *some* failure modes with this setup but not
all. Again, see David Conrad's examples of a fat finger adding your
prefix in a route-map.