nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cellphones and Audio (was Ghost Click, though I got no idea why)

From: Joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 11:03:11 -0700

On 5/3/12 10:29 , Jay Ashworth wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Atkinson" <ghira () mistral co uk>

Well, just the above seems like enough that you'd think there'd be more
(justified) grumbling that thanks to a choice made many many decades ago
it's harder to distinguish young or female speakers than it is adult
male ones. Maybe there is and I've just not noticed it. Is this one of
the things pushing adoption of higher bandwidth audio codecs? (My guess:
no.)

Not directly, I don't think, no.  I suspect it's merely "why not?"

wideband codecs carry music a lot better.

the can have considerably more dynamic range than you can expect from an
8 bit pcm mulaw encoding (about 45bB). that helps a lot in the speaker
phone situation.

if you have the opportunity to compare pstn and mp3 recordings of the
same meeting like I do on occasion the difference is considerable.

Cheers,
-- jra