nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni Fiber

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:02:57 -0400

Ray Soucy wrote:

If people got serious about FTTH, I think a _very_ optimistic timeline
would be something like:

Not optimistic at all, technically or operationally. Politically and legally are another matter:

2015 - First communities coming online, 100M to the home (probably Gigabit
line rate, but throttled).

There's been quite a lot of FTTH for quite a few years now. In addition to the Verizon FIOS stuff - up to 135mbps down/ 35mbps up available where I am (though I've been quite happy with lower speeds).

Municipal electric utilities have been deploying fiber right and left. Probably 200 systems operational. The two that come to mind immediately are:

Chattanooga, TN - GigE FTTH Today - http://chattanoogagig.com/ -

Grant County PUD (public utility district), OR has had the fiber in for a few years, selling wholesale - not sure what specific retail services are available

There'd probably be a lot more available if the big telcos and cable companies weren't doing everything they can to block municipal bids.