nanog mailing list archives

Re: Shim6, was: Re: filtering /48 is going to be necessary

From: Tim Franklin <tim () pelican org>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:23:13 -0000 (GMT)

I don't think the term means what Masataka thinks it means, because nobody
in this discussion is talking in terms of circuits rather than packet routing.

Geographical addressing can tend towards "bellhead thinking", in the sense that it assumes a small number (one?) of
suppliers servicing all end users in a geographical area, low mobility, higher traffic volumes towards other end-users
in the same or a close geography, relative willingness to renumber when a permanent change of location does occur, and
simple, tightly defined interconnects where these single-suppliers can connect to the neighbouring single-supplier and
their block of geography.

I'm not sure he's right, but I think I understand what he's getting at.

Regards,
Tim.