nanog mailing list archives

Re: Shim6, was: Re: filtering /48 is going to be necessary

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 11:45:19 -0700

On Mar 14, 2012, at 9:18 AM, <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 20:13:41 PDT, Owen DeLong said:
I expect within my lifetime that multi-gigabit ethernet will become
commonplace in the household LAN environment and that when that
becomes reality, localized IP Multicast over multi-gigabit ethernet
will eventually supplant HDMI as the primary transport for audio/video
streams between devices (sources such as BD players, DVRs,
computers, etc. and destinations such as receivers/amps, monitors,
speaker drivers, etc.).

The only reason you got HDMI at all was because the content owners managed
to get HDCP included.  You won't get a replacement that doesn't do HDCP until
we fix the sorry state of copyright in the US.

So it's equivalent to asking if we're going to fix copyright within your lifetime... :)

I fully expect them to develop an HDCP-or-equivalent enabled protocol to run over IP Multicast.

Do you have any reason you believe that won't happen?

Owen