nanog mailing list archives

Re: uunet ends newsfeed/newsreader in US

From: Brett Watson <brett () the-watsons org>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 17:48:40 -0500

On Mar 30, 2012, at 3:47 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, Henry Yen wrote:

uunet/vzb "will terminate its United States Newsreader and Newsfeed
services on March 31, 2012, with no plans to offer a replacement, and
any content/data remaining after that date will be unrecoverably deleted".

does anyone on NANOG have any thoughtful comments on this?

UUNet's still been running NNTP/NNRP servers?
I had an NNTP feed from them...back in 1995...when you could actually do a feed on a T1 and have room for dial-up
customer traffic.

There's a flashback! I was still shoveling news over UUCP to customers in Texas in '93 :)

-b