nanog mailing list archives

Re: uunet ends newsfeed/newsreader in US

From: Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 17:03:58 -0500 (CDT)

                            I thought it should have died when pr0n and
w4rez took it over (in the late 90's)..

Many of the tech groups remain quite healthy.  I still moderate
comp.compilers which gets about 100 posts/month.

Those of us still doing work with USENET know that it isn't dead, far
from it, but we're aware that there's a certain amount of illicit
traffic.

It's kind of like the way that pr0n and w4rez dominate all the Internet,
but this doesn't seem to faze Internet network operators.

Actually, it's fine with us that the ignorant masses think that usenet
is dead, since it tends to keep out the riffraff.

And that's the difference between USENET and the Internet; we've
largely gotten our nice messaging network back now that all the AOL
newbies are instead attracted to all the forums and blogs of the
Internet; running a newsreader client is needlessly complex and may
be beyond some of them.

:-)

... JG